About Me

My photo
Give me music and give me noise....

Monday, 20 April 2015

People who say something 'rocks' do not rock

When did people start saying something or other "rocks"? And more importantly, when will they stop? God, like an ever-expanding universe, people always seem to find new ways to be annoying.

OK, it's no big deal. Even I don't care really, but still ... why?

It's probably AC/DC's fault, or Aerosmith, or one of those bands. Or perhaps that massively-unfunny-looking Richard Linklater film. I dunno.

Anyway, things have obviously come to a critical pass when my not-at-all-popular-culture-orientated girlfriend uses it in an email to me. Seems she got it from an old friend of mine. Hmm. This NEEDS TO STOP.

No, along with all that two-fingered rock saluting and cries of "rawk" - which at least had the excuse that they were supposed to be ironic (not that that didn't mean they weren't still as boring as hell) - the use of rock as a way of signifying approval is about as clever and entertaining as ... oh, your average rock song. 

Yeah OK, I should get over myself. Leave music pedants corner and go out to a gig or something. True! I might even go to see Allo Darlin'. Because well, unlike Angus Young's well-past-their-sell-by date "rockers", Allo Darlin' actually do rock ...  



No comments:

Post a Comment