Doubts even here: Musicophilia's post-punk mega-work made better?
It's not really a criticism (more a kind of praise if anything), but the minority of tracks I dislike in Musicophilia's epic 1981 Post-Punk Box Set (my previous post) are - as it were - just begging to be replaced by a few superior songs. In fact, songs from artists who've found themselves overlooked in even this fairly comprehensive 12-hour selection. Yeah, I really couldn't resist. Improvement (if that's what it is) is the sincerest form of flattery, no? Anyway, here are my tinkerings:
*Kick out: Depeche Mode (x2), Duran Duran, the Pretenders (x2), the Cars, the Buggles, Matt Johnson, Was (Not Was) and Classix Nouveaux. A modest culling of ten tracks.
*Bring in (for example): the Spizzles' Melancholy (or something else from Spikey Dream Flowers), Girls At Our Best's Getting Beautiful Warm Gold Fast From Nowhere (Peel session), The Monochrome Set's The Mating Game, The Passage's Hip Rebels, The Room's Bated Breath, UB40's B Line (Dub), the Higsons' I Don't Want To Live With Monkeys, the Nightingales' Bush Beat (Peel session), Crispy Ambulance's Not What I Expected and pretty much anything from Palais Schaumburg's amazing 1981 album.
*Meanwhile, a minor quibble would be: three This Heat songs but only one by The Fall? No, surely not. I reckon a track or two from Slates seems in order. Yeah, TWO POUNDS ONLY u skinny rats.
Hmm, it's endless. I could probably conduct a second ten-song cull and even a third. A fourth, a fifth. Go too far and there'll be almost nothing left of Musicophilia's original mega-work. No man, the essentials of the 1981 Post-Punk Box Set are probably more or less all there. It's the depth and breadth that matter and the collection has plenty of these. Like any decent musical selection - a mixtape, a DJ set, a few songs you recommend to a long-suffering friend - Musicophilia's effort has set plenty of hares running. Like the er, post-punk greyhound that I am I've immediately had to start chasing after those mechanical little bunnies. I'll never catch them though. Never mind, the chase is the thing. As I say, having a few doubts about the 1981 Post-Punk Box Set is really only a way of showing some appreciation. Yep, doubts even here ...
Comments
Post a Comment