About Me

My photo
Give me music and give me noise....

Saturday, 8 January 2011

Disharmony in my head

Enough already with the earworm. I must admit I'm getting tired of the use of "Earworm" to describe a tune that's stuck in someone's head. Like many of these phrases I seem to have missed the moment when it started getting used (by everyone) but now it's become decidedly tiresome. A bit like a tune you can't ...

There's some pretty silly stuff around (marketing-led?) about how it's a form of "torture" to be plagued by a lyric or melody in your head (it doesn't seem too bad to me) - though Ian McMillan's account of spending much of the last 30 years with Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" rattling around his brain is admittedly quite alarming.

I'd like to call for an immediate moratorium on using this phrase. Please change the record. At least say Ohrwurm if you must use it. Somehow though, I think we're in for a few more years of heavy rotation with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment