About Me

My photo
Give me music and give me noise....

Monday, 3 January 2011

Zushi on Lomax


Zushi on Lomax
Originally uploaded by Niluccio on noise
Pretty good little review of the legendary Alan Lomax in the New Statesman by Yo Zushi. (I say review of Lomax b/c it doesnt say much about the book it's reviewing, a biography by John Szwed).

Certainly I read The Land Where The Blues Began with wide-eyed fervour, probably a bit the way Lomax himself was when he went rocking up at the next beaten-down shack in Mississippi to bribe some old timer with whiskey to sing for him. Hey, great times!

Unlike Mr Lomax I can't say I ever saw Leadbelly or Fred McDowell doing their stuff, but I did catch Yo Zushi himself about three years ago doing an indie-folkie thing. Kinda good, I thought. When's he playing again though? Can't see much on his MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment